Sunday, September 29, 2013

Weekend Updates

These Elwells had quite the week. I was dragging all week with a stomach bug and Jack was on 12s. The stomach bug finally took over and I was out of commission all day on Saturday. I honestly cannot remember the last time I've been that sick. And nobody likes to lose a full weekend day to a bug. Ugh!

Saturday, Jack took the boys to Grandma's and to his friend's house for an annual bbq.

Justin's report on Grandma's house. "We had chocolate milk."

Justin's report on the bbq. "I caught 2 fish. the hook got stuck in their belly and daddy put his hand in their belly to take the hook out."

They were out all day and I was so thankful to have the rest time at home. The boys had a blast with chocolate milk, cookies, chain sawing for logs/branches, fishing, sand playing and bbq eating. (jack was in charge so no pictures were taken. All calls/feedback can be directed to Jack.)

Sunday, I woke up fresh and well rested. Jack chopped some logs (big 15' sticks) at his mom's house and used them for his next project....a teepee. No lie. Don't ask me where he got the idea. Since he's not building the tree fort this year, he thought the teepee was good for now.
 Guess who's favorite color is orange today? Yes, he dressed himself and was so proud.

And there you have it. You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy. I'm 99% sure we are the only Beachwood backyard with a teepee.  (Fall is my favorite season and I spy red leaves!)
 Sunday, we also snuck in a birthday party for our dear family friend, Carlo. He's 7!
 It was a bowling party - and C & J's first time bowling. Fun times! Convincing Justin to change into rented bowling shoes was the hardest part of the party.

 Then we came home for an afternoon playdate with one of Colin's kindergarten friends, Koki. Koki & his family moved to Beachwood from Japan 4 months ago and are getting adjusted. They are here for 2 years (doing research at CWRU), then moving back to Japan

They brought us the biggest apple fritters ever! (and yes, I took out bachan's Japanese platter for the apple fritters. Lori, I know you're laughing.)
 Lego time. Fumie (Koki's mom) was so happy because Koki learned a couple more English words during the playdate! I was happy because Fumie was teaching me some Japanese words. Maybe there is hope for me after all!
 Justin partied so hard today that he fell asleep before dinner. I found him in our bed and didn't have the heart to wake his little body up. Sleep, child, sleep.

In turtle news, Martha ran away. An unnamed person let the two turtles out to roam in our enclosed turtle area. The turtles were not supervised and Martha escaped. If you know of any turtle wrangling tips, please let us know. Otherwise, we're hoping she burrows real deep and stays warm til Spring. Ack.

2 comments:

Urban Farmer said...

Oh no! Go find Martha! She won't survive out there in your backyard. :(

Lori said...

Hahha, nice plate.

Jack's the coolest dad ever. Teepee?!!?? Awesome.

Stomach flu? Sure, now tell me what you really did when the boys left you with a full weekend day all to yourself!!?!!! =o)

Um, martha? Isn't that a big problem.. Don't you post pictures of Martha on telephone polls along your block for this kind of thing?!