Monday, September 9, 2013

Family Happenings & thoughts on Kindergarten

The boys had fun while I was gone. Lots of games and a campfire. These are the 2 pictures I found on the camera while I was gone...


Once Jack picked me up from the airport, we headed to Grandma's for dinner. I knew it would be a good night when I saw this cookie mountain.
 Jack played with a chain saw.
We had dinner outside. I can't get over how amazing her backyard is. I think I appreciate her backyard so much more since I know that Jack & I can't even take care of 1 flower bed at our house.
On Sunday, we ventured out to see Planes. When I told Justin we were going to the movie theater, he said, "Yes! That's where you eat popcorn and gummies." As an adult, the movie was horrible. Colin: "That was cool." Justin: fell asleep 1/2 way through the movie. Enough said.
The movie theater was packed.
I napped on Sunday. No lie. NYC kicked my butt. When I woke up, the boys were hammering away. I walked out to find a bridge that they constructed on their own. Hammers and nails were used; all 10 fingers still intact for each of them. I love how they learn from Jack and are inspired to create projects like him.
Here's Jack's final project - stained and sealed. I think it makes our backyard look a bit fancier. =)
NYC was a blast. But coming home to these boys "made my heart happy," as Justin would say.
To sum up Week 1 of kindergarten, here are some of Colin's thoughts/observations:
  1. "They only give us 10 minutes for lunch. You have to pack things I can eat super fast."
  2. "You're not allowed to talk. You can only talk when they call your name and at recess."
  3. "How are you supposed to make friends if you can't talk?"
  4. "Why do they have aftercare? Why can't I learn things all day?"
  5. "We have different teachers for different classes...art, gym, science, music, computer lab."
  6. What does your teacher do? "Math and group time."
  7. Do you know anybody in your class? "Nova. I sat next to her at lunch and she's my friend."
  8. Do you like kindergarten? "Yes."
That's all folks. Colin is adjusting and we'll keep you updated. One thing is for sure - this is not preschool anymore!

After the 2nd day of kindergarten, we were talking about friends over dinner. It's "friend week" at Justin's preschool and Justin decided to share his ideas on how to make friends:
Justin: "You can smile. That's how someone knows if you want to be their friend. No kisses though - that's germs. But you can hug. You can also share your toys. That's what friends do."

It was cute. Colin just sat and listened as Justin talked with authority. It was fun to watch.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ah! So fun on the happenings, but so sad you didn't like Planes! We loved it and thought it was so cute!

Lori said...

My fav: "How can you make friends if you can't talk" hahaha He has a good point. I think he should ask his teacher this question.