Monday, January 20, 2014

Teenage Mutant Ninja Justin + Lego Colin

What a week.

Our big weekend outing was to Fun-n-Stuff to celebrate Highley's birthday. Highley is C's friend from kindergarten but has been so kind to Justin and gives J a hug every time we pick up Colin. It was our 2nd trek to fun-n-stuff and the boys still love it! And I was so proud of Colin for trying roller skating for the 1st time! He quickly declared, "This just isn't my thing." and "Roller skating will NOT be my sport." But after a couple of tries, he was back out there 3 times!

 Highley's pinata. Elwell boys love pinatas.
 

Jack worked 13 days straight, 12 hours shifts and weekends. A lot. Justin had the most trouble and missed Jack the most. He said, "I have some sad feelings. I miss daddy." Tears, tantrums, feelings. Jack talked to the boys almost daily, but it just wasn't enough. So Jack made a special lunch time visit to Justin's school and Justin was speechless. Justin was a changed boy after that visit and we survived until we saw Jack again on Sunday this weekend.

Colin has been very helpful with Justin and as I was walking through the house I saw this (iPad on a stool.) Colin explained to me that he set it up for Justin. Justin doesn't like to be alone and Colin didn't want to stay with him for the particular bathroom activities. haha!!

For Jack's 1 day off (Sunday), he asked for sukiyaki! Mmmmm. 
The boys write Jack notes every day and Jack writes back to us in the morning. Justin told me what to write this time, "It will be Justin's birthday in 8 days. He will be 4 years old." Seriously. That's what he told me to write. haha!!

Family Updates.
Colin:
  • Learning how to spell and read new words every day. His school sent out a list of 1000 words and I told Colin that if he can read and spell the 1st 200 words, I would buy him a new lego set. I have never seen that boy so driven in my life.  
  • Is still obsessed with Lego City. Since we have not bought him any new sets, he's enjoying his free build time in his lego box. I think free build is just as important as his lego instruction sets. And he builds some pretty amazing things on his own! He just walked over here with a triple decker car. =)
  • Colin did not want to sign up for any after school sports classes this season. Instead, he is in Lego Club and loving life. =)
  • He is learning about punctuation at school and I found this on our chalkboard at home:


Justin:
  • Loves teenage mutant ninja turtles and will beg to watch this show. He thinks he is a ninja turtle and has mastered the spinning kick. No lie. My boys could not be more different.
  • People say you have to find your child's "currency." And right now, Justin will do anything to watch more episodes of said ninja turtles. So that's how we get him to do house chores.
  • Justin is ecstatic for his birthday. There is so much between November-December in our family that Justin just sits waiting for his turn on January 28th.
  • I put a couple of wrapped birthday presents on our mantel and Justin begged to open them. Of course I said no. A couple hours later, he asked me for a stool and asked me to put it by the bookshelf in the living room. I didn't think much of it until he said, "Can you go find a place to hide?" I snuck around the corner and watched him move the stool 3 feet to the mantel and try to sneak his presents down. This boy.
Jack: Working.

Jamie: Working.

Happy short week all. =)

3 comments:

Lori said...

Okay, going to the store tomorrow and picking up a ninja turtle birthday card for this soon to be 4 year old!

Anonymous said...

I found one!

Anonymous said...

Jack, kudos for going to have lunch with Justin at school.. What a terrific dad you are!

It's me, Urban Farmer...I couldn't sign in...forgot my password. :(