Monday, January 28, 2013

I'm Free Years Old!

What 3 year old can actually say "TH-REE??"

We enjoyed a birthday fun-filled weekend.

Saturday = Justin's birthday party with classmates and friends. American Bouncers does all of the work, we just had to show up! Love them. Wish I had some better group shots - I was too busy bouncing myself. =) And Justin designed his own cake. What will I do once the boys realize that cake designs are more than roads with cars on it? (Justin's 2nd birthday & Colin's 5th birthday) haha.


Sunday = The arrival of the Binkie Fairy
*All went well. Colin said that Justin was in his bed with his head in his hands, silent. Colin asked him if the binkie fairy came and Justin simply nodded his head. 

Monday = The Real Birthday! He woke me up "Mom, I am three today?" We've had so many celebrations, he was a bit confused on when he actually turned 3! Of course, he wanted to go to school so he could be "the birthday boy" all day. I picked him up early and treated him to a trip to the toy store. And he gave some of his birthday money to Colin so Colin could also get a gift. (why can't they get along like that all of the time?!)

Came home and made pizza (Trader Joe's pizza dough) and I have a new respect for all of the pizza makers in the world. I have zero dough spreading skill...but Justin had fun. We ended up with rectangle/oval/parallelogram shaped pizzas. (pizza = Justin birthday dinner choice)
 And what's a better birthday present than friends who will dress up with you. =) Oh, how he loves costume-time. Emily brought special Spiderman cupcakes for Justin - THANK YOU! Happy Birthday, my Justin!
--
As promised, a Colin story. We just started an allowance for Colin ($5/week.)  Jack & I decided to teach him what "savings" meant and then let him decide if he wanted to save. (versus forcing him to save his money b/c Jack argues that's not really teaching anything.)
Jack: So you'll get $5 a week. Now that you know what savings is, do you want to save any money every week?
Colin: yes.
Jack: how much?
Colin: $10.
Me: (He's totally Jack's kid!)

*In the end, he decided on $2/week goes to his bank account and $3 will go to his wallet. Which is huge restraint because he's been trying to save up for a new lego set - and he only counts money in his wallet for those kind of purchases.

After we figured out what he wanted for savings...
Jack: We can start talking about what compounding interest means next...
Me: (really? we're going to go there?)
Colin was quiet but soaked up every word.
--
Justin stories -

Colin took Justin's toys.
Justin came running to my room: Mom, I'm not happy about my family.
Me: Oh...
Justin: I'm just not happy about my family.
Me: Well, try to use your words and tell Colin what you want.
Justin: (walks away)
*Sometimes I use the phrase, "I'm not happy with that..." and clearly he's picked up on it!

Justin climbs into our bed.
Justin: Dad, you're handsome like me.

And when I get ready for work, I still get, "momma, you so pretty and so fancy."

And all of the other moms out there will understand how HUGE this one is: "Mom, I went poop in the potty!" Oh yeah! Usually followed by, "do i get a special snack?" =)

2 comments:

Urban Farmer said...

Happy birthday Justin!!! What a great cake. I love the conversations with the kids....

Urban Farmer said...

Colin looks very tall in that pic.