Sunday, September 9, 2012

30 day update: 3211 Green

Yes, it was 30 days ago that we signed papers and picked up keys to our home. It's been a busy month, and this week/end was no different. Big house updates to report...

Natural maple hardwood floors are in! I still prefer the house pictures with Justin in them. =) Let's all "ooh" and "ahh" together over these floors. I picked Maple and Jack picked the "natural" look. So it was truly a team effort.
  Justin is my main swiffer-er.
Here's our weekly kitchen update: insulation & flooring.
 After a ton of delivery delays, we finally got our washer and dryer! Jack picked them out himself, and I was pleasantly surprised. LOVE THEM BOTH! Look, our washer has a window on top.
 This weekend was all about Jack & the basement. After Jack hooked up the washer/dryer, he painted the entire basement. The wall next to the washer/dryer and sink looked like this on Saturday. And I found Jack & Colin in the garage working away.
By Sunday morning, it had the beginnings of a storage shelf. The boys used it as a stage for half a day. And yes, this was the first day that Colin wore pants since Spring-time; there was definitely an Autumn breeze in the air today. Justin still insisted on shorts.

By Sunday night, Jack built the storage shelf. Bolted into the ground and walls, it's sturdy enough to hold dancing children. Colin can even tell you that you need to use a hammer drill to drill it into the ground. He loves watching Jack work and picks up on all of the tool-terminology.
Ensuring that our entire lives are not all about house remodeling, we snuck in a visit to the "Honkin Haulin" trucks event in our neighborhood. They had all of their big vehicles there for kids to drive and play on.
 What's better than eating cookies, drinking sugar juice and looking at trucks?
 They had a great set up and Colin got to ride a car around this city.We'll definitely be back next year.
At home, the boys found the costume box...
 "If you pretend to be a baby rabbit, you can go get your binkies because you'll be a baby." - Colin to Justin.
 I was feeling so good, I even made banana bread in our toaster oven. This toaster oven has saved us during the transition. It can fit whole pizzas and works just as well as an oven. LOVE IT! Jack is all about research and did a great job with ordering quality appliances for us.
Last week, I did a trial night with Sophie (neighbor babysitter), and she was great. So great that Jack immediately asked her to watch the kids for us for a bit this weekend. She came over on Sunday - and Jack & I went out for drinks and appetizers. SO NICE to get out and get some date time.

Our whole family definitely got a good boost of productive energy this week. Feels good. Mostly, it just feels good to walk on flooring. Not subflooring and nails. Nice flooring. Oh, how amazing it feels. 

2 comments:

Lori said...

WOW TONS OF PROGRESS!!!! Exciting times at 3211!!

Anonymous said...

I only see Jack working in the garage! haaha Sorry, couldn't help it.
Great floors Elwells! Nice work bench too! A great place for Lori to fold the family laundry in November! :)